Saturday, October 12, 2013

Details that Matter - Soaking and Prewash

Continuing the discussion of why Handmade / Handcrafted matters, have you ever thought about what happens with the fabrics in items you purchase? Ever notice how they seem to fade a few washes later? Wonder if the item is going to shrink? Want to use it right away, but worried about any manufacturing chemicals in the cloth? As I keep saying, I make a carrier based on what I like to use, and I pass that on to my customers.

After sourcing unusual or unique fabrics, I set the vibrant colors in a vinegar pre-soak - this helps to stabilize the dyes used in fabric ink and repels hard water minerals and residue from laundry detergents.
The occasional vinegar wash after you receive your carrier will help keep the colors looking fresh, as will ensuring proper washing settings.

Then I wash (on cold, delicate) and dry (cotton setting) the fabric so any chemicals and starching are removed and any shrinkage is already taken care of.

It takes time and adds a couple extra steps, but that's just part of being handmade!

No comments:

Post a Comment